Friday, March 10, 2017

Head covering at Mass

I returned to the Catholic church eight years ago and since returning I have always felt the need to wear a head covering, such as a veil or hat. I wasn't sure at first why but I just felt called to this devotion. It is a practice that has been in the Catholic church since Christ founded the Church on the Rock of Peter and it is a very beautiful devotion that seems to be increasing. 

As many women are being called to cover we are learning that during the 1960's feminists, and we have all seen recently how diabolical feminism is,  encouraged women to throw off the head covering and to stop wearing such a thing that represented submission to a man. I remember this time. I was young and in my early teens but I remember I stopped wearing my veil but Code of Canon law did not change until 1983. That means that from the 1960's until Code of Canon law was changed in 1983,women (including myself) were being just plain disobedient to the Canon law that was in place at that time, the 1917 Code of Canon law, which required women to wear a head covering during Mass.

At the start of my return I would first alternate between veils and sometimes hats or large headbands. I still alternate but I have recently began wearing the veil the most and feeling comfortable with it. I think the reason is because I have noticed more women wearing the veil and I am realizing I am not alone in this devotion.  I am so not someone who likes to stand out in a crowd or be the only one anywhere so I am grateful to see more women covering. Of course, in most parishes that include the Traditional Latin Mass or only have the Traditional Latin Mass you will see most all women wearing veils or scarves.

I live in a small town and there has been an increase in Catholic women wearing some type of head covering during Mass.

My reasoning for covering is because I am in the presence of the Lord and because of 1 Corinthians 11:6-10.  After wearing something over my head for these eight years now, I feel disrespectful and prideful at just the thought of not covering. 

1 Corinthians 11:6 - 10 For if a woman be not covered, let her be shorn. But if it be a shame to a woman to be shorn or made bald, let her cover her head. The man indeed ought not to cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of the man.  For the man is not of the woman, but the woman of the man.  For the man was not created for the woman, but the woman for the man.  Therefore ought the woman to have a power over her head, because of the angels.
If you are considering or feeling called to cover your head in respect of the Lord during Mass perhaps this video will help, probably help more than what I can say.

Also, there is a link below for Veils by Lily, where you can purchase your veil. If you are not ready for a veil, consider a hat, scarf or large headband. 



https://www.veilsbylily.com

No comments:

Post a Comment