Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Card Wishes

When I was a little girl back in the 1960's I can remember at Christmas time my parents would get many Christmas cards and my mom would always display them on top of the tv or a table or in the window. I would sit and look at them and admire them. The pretty scenes. The sparkles. I would take notice as to whether they stood vertical or horizontal but what I remember most is it seems like most of the cards were related somehow or someway to the true meaning of Christmas, about the birth of Jesus.


I can remember wintery scenes of the shepherds in the fields.


I can remember beautiful images of the nativity scene.








I, also loved to look at the scenes of the wise men traveling through deserts following the star.





Of course there were others. Some with bells.




and carolers








and Bibles




and many others, including you know who.






It was always so enjoyable to look at and read the cards. Sometimes I didn't even know who the people were that had sent them. I would just read the names. My parents knew who they were.


This year my plan was to hang my Christmas cards on a string across the fireplace like they used to but plans failed when I realized we this year, as in the last couple of years have received mostly photo cards. I received only a couple of regular cards and a few religious cards and one Christmas letter from someone's cat. It was very cute, so don't get me wrong I love getting the pictures of friends and family. I guess the photo cards started a little while back when people would stick pictures in the cards and then later just went to photo cards but I do think that photo cards were around before, just not as popular today.

Of course I could hang everyone's photo's up as they are so very pretty but something is missing in not having all those scenes and references to Jesus' birth. Jesus is missing. Every time I get a card or a photo card, I wonder, "where is Jesus? Where is the nativity? Where are the shepherds? Where are the wisemen?"

Yes, as you have probably figured I am a pretty old fashioned, traditional person. I like traditional families, traditional roles in families, traditions of my Catholic faith and family traditions and others. Don't get me wrong, I live in the here and now. I use technology and blog and have an IPOD and cell phone and a laptop computer but there are somethings that as Christmas moves away from it's true meaning, I miss.

The meaning of Christmas should never change. The reason we have this season is because of our wonderful Catholic faith and its liturgical calendar.

So, above are my Christmas cards to you, this year. I hope you enjoy them and that next week you have a wonderful Merry Christmas and find Jesus all around this wonderful season.






No comments:

Post a Comment